Vegan Bourbon Chocolate Pecan Pie… Yes, it’s as delicious as it sounds.
This recipe is my take on the Derby Pie, another Louisville classic. If you’re unfamiliar with Derby Pie, it’s a pie that was invented back in 1954 by Walter and Leaudra Kern. It’s a chocolate walnut pie that’s incredibly popular in Louisville, especially around the Derby season.
Many restaurants in the Louisville areas have their own versions, most of which are made with nuts (either walnuts or pecans), chocolate, and bourbon. All of these are sold under different names, however, as the name Derby Pie is trademarked. So, they’re usually sold as “Pegasus Pie”, “May Day Pie”, “Bluegrass Pie”, “Race Day Pie”, or just Chocolate Bourbon Pecan Pie.
Whatever you call it, it’s delicious. The combination of chocolate, pecans, and bourbon is absolutely to die for. The texture of the pie is kind of like a chocolate chip cookie that’s been crossed with a pecan pie, that was then liberally doused in bourbon and served in a flaky, buttery crust. Sign me up!
I made a vegan version of this pie for Derby last year that was spot on and decided I just had to make it again and share the recipe with all of you. I definitely hope you give this veganized version a try. It’s really simple to make, but totally delicious and perfect to make for get-togethers and holiday celebrations.
If you try this vegan bourbon chocolate pecan pie, be sure to tag me on Instagram @thepeacefulepicurean
Vegan Kentucky Bourbon Chocolate Pecan Pie
- 1 pie crust (unbaked)
- 1 cup dark brown sugar, lightly packed
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 flat tablespoons cornstarch or arrowroot starch
- 1/2 cup vegan butter, melted and cooled slightly
- 1/4 cup non-dairy milk (such as soy or almond)
- 4 tablespoons bourbon (see note)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 heaping cup chopped pecans (roasted and salted)
- 1 cup vegan semi-sweet or bittersweet chocolate chips
- Extra bourbon for drizzling over pie after baking
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Roll out pie crust and place into pie pan. Crimp as desired.
- In a bowl, combine all remaining ingredients. Stir until evenly mixed.
- Pour filling into prepared crust, smooth top.
- Place on center rack in a preheated oven at 350 F. Bake for 50-60 minutes, or until filling is set and the top of the filling is golden brown.
- Remove pie from oven and evenly drizzle over as much bourbon as you would like. I usually go for about 1/4-1/3 cup.
- Allow to cool for about an hour. Serve with vegan vanilla ice cream and enjoy!
Disclaimer: this page contains affiliate links. If you purchase an item through my links, it will not cost you any extra. However, I will earn a small commission to help support this website so that I may continue creating content. Thanks for your support.